INSIDE THIS ISSUE
- Community News - Engaging public audiences nationwide in conversations about synthetic biology, Explore Science: Earth & Space 2017 toolkit application coming soon, Sustainability in Science Museums digital resources available online, National Informal STEM Education (NISE) Network transition
- Upcoming Events - Upcoming online workshops: Staying connected to the Network and community, Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC) Annual Conference 2016, Celebrate National Chemistry Week this October
- Featured on the Website - SustainABLE Kit
- Partner Highlights - "Miners Dig Deep" and Show Summer Campers How to Build with Biology, Building with Biology at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, Social media NISE Network partner shout-outs
- Science in the News - Undeclared nanoparticles in four French foods triggers call for crackdown, Sanofi teams up with U.S. Army on Zika vaccine, Look up! Perseid meteor show peaks August 11-12, NASA sails full-speed ahead in solar system exploration
- Nano Throughout the Year - National Chemistry Week (October 16-22), Other year-round activities
- Building with Biology final event reports are due three weeks after hosting your last event and/or forum. Instructions for completing the report can be found at http://www.buildingwithbiology.org/get-involved.
- Still seeking scientists to participate in your Building with Biology event? Consider the opportunity to invite a FBI agent to talk with the public at your event about their biosecurity work. Submit your interest and we'll help to connect you with an agent if possible.
- Project webinars and orientations have been recorded and archived online. These webinars cover the evaluation process for Building with Biology events and forums, what's in the kit, and a series of scientist orientations led by AAAS. Please share these resources with your volunteers. View additional resources for event hosts.
- We still have a few free physical kits available, learn more about how to apply.
→ National Informal STEM Education (NISE) Network transition
- NISE Network booth (#723 and #822) in the exhibit hall, which will feature public engagement activities, partner resources, and information about upcoming project opportunities.
- The Network is also planning an informal happy hour gathering of network partners on the evening of Friday, September 23rd. More details coming soon.
- Network partners are involved in a number of conference sessions about engaging the public in current science, engineering, technology topics such as nanotechnology and synthetic biology, as well as a number of sessions around evaluation and research, and a session about national collaborative networks. See list of sessions.
SustainABLE Kit - The kit contains digital copies of everything you you'll need to host your own Sustainability in Science Museums event. Kit contents include planning, marketing and orientation materials, printable banners and poster, and background materials, activity guides and facilitator guides, and training videos for the hands-on SustainABLE activities.
'Miners Dig Deep' and Show Summer Campers How to Build with Biology
Look up! Perseid meteor show peaks August 11-12
NANO THROUGHOUT THE YEAR
For a list of nano activities for use throughout the year, see NISE Net's list of seasonal activities.
- American Chemical Society's National Chemistry Week website
- NISE Network National Chemistry Week page www.nisenet.org/national-chemistry-week for a complete list of activities (coming soon)
- Sweet Self-Assembly hands-on activity
- Exploring Size - Scented Balloons hands-on activity
- Exploring Materials - Liquid Crystals hands-on activity
- Summer-themed activities: oceans, shells, sun, sand, and ice cream
- Superhero events and nanoscience
- Food related activities: gummy capsules, ice cream, and chocolate
- Astronomy and space related activities: exploring size, space elevators, flying cars and robots
MEETINGS AND CONFERENCES
Do you have something you would like to submit for inclusion in the NISE Network monthly e-newsletter? Please send your announcements, articles, or community opportunities to Kayla Berry at firstname.lastname@example.org.